The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne Bangalore
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne Bangalore (SAB), was founded in the year 1857. It is the first indigenous religious congregation for women in the state of Karnataka. Bishop Stephen Louis Charbonnux, the first Vicar Apostolate of the then Mysore Mission is the founder of the congregation. He was a zealous, courageous and compassionate missionary. He was born in France and came as a missionary to India in 1831 and belonged to the Congregation of the Society of Foreign Mission of Paris. Bishop Stephen Louis Charbonnux, had mastered local Indian languages, published number of books, including the Latin-Kannada Dictionary which has remains a unique contribution to Kannada literature. He toiled hard for the cause of evangelization and education in his newly formed diocese.
To take charge of the Christian schools and orphanages in Bangalore, he invited the Good shepherd Sisters from Angers in France, but these sisters found it very hard to deal with the Kannada and Tamil speaking children. So, he thought of founding an Indian congregation to cater to the Educational and Evangelization needs of the Indian Neo-catechumens. Thus, the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne took its birth in 1857 in the premises of the Good Shepherd Convent in Bangalore. His great devotion to St. Anne caused him to place this congregation under the patronage of St. Anne, who was the mother and the teacher of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The SAB nuns worked as auxiliaries to the Good Shepherd sisters for more than a century and then became an autonomous congregation in the year 1959, due to the constant efforts and guidance of the late Archbishop Thomas Pothacamury. The SAB congregation which was founded by him is a Religious Institute of Pontifical Right dedicated to apostolic works of education of children, care for the sick, and the abandoned and the patrol care. Love and service is the motto of the congregation. Evangelization through Loving Service is the charism of the congregation. It has 700 sisters belonging to four Provinces spread in and outside India. Services include:
- SAB Apostolate
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne, Bangalore
No. 2, Miller’s Road, Vasanthanagar P.O
Bangalore – 560052, Karnataka, India
Phone: (080) 22251333
Mobile: 9969445190 (Sr. Lima)
Society of the Helpers of Mary
The Society has 65 branches that are spread over India, Ethiopia, Kenya & Italy. The head quarters (Generalate) of the Society of the Helpers of Mary is situated at Andheri West, Mumbai, India. It is an important office of the Society. The office of the Superior General (the President) of the Society, the Councilors, the Economer and the General Secretary live here. The coordination of various activities of the Provinces, Regions and Overseas missions are carried out from here.
Founder – Mother Anna Huberta
Co-Founder – Fr. Joseph Neuner SJ
Year of Foundation – 27th March 1942
Superior General – Sr. Pusphy Alappadan
Live for love
We envisage a society where the values of compassion, equality, justice and harmony flourish and everyone experiences the fullness of life.
To reach out to the powerless and the voiceless, especially women and children and empowering them.
Shraddha Vihar (House of Faith) Mothers’ House The society from its inception discharged various functions independently from here, besides being a centre for contacts and transit lounge. Shraddha Vihar also occupies a special place, as it is the birthplace of the Society and the place of inspiration for all its members. The tomb of the Founder is situated here besides the memory of the Founder is kept alive in the premises through various celebrations and commemorations. Her memories and relics are placed in her room. This place inspires all those who enter this room and keeps alive the rich tradition. Besides, the sick and elderly members find an asylum as well as a resting place to spend their evening of their lives. Contact – (022) 26762546
The medical ministry of the Society took birth at Shraddha Vihar Hospital. The hospital caters to the needs of the slum dwellers as well as the residents of the surrounding area. Besides, the hospital meets the medical needs of the children of Bal Bhavan, Jivan Asha and the members of the Institute. As of now, it is a full-fledged hospital with advanced facilities of Sonography, lab, Dentistry, Ophthalmic facilities, Physiotherapy and Maternity home. Contact – (022) 26766758/26793759
Bal Bhavan (Home for Girls)
One of the first Care homes for Children is situated here. The home was started in 1972 with 10 orphan children. The resident was originally built with the help of our benefactor. As of today more than 5000 children found a home and have transformed themselves after the completion of their studies. The home accommodates girls between the ages of 5-18years. Contact – (022) 26761745
Jivan Asha ( Home for Senior Citizens)
This was the pioneer effort of the Society to care for the needy senior citizens. The home was established in 1971, in a tin shed. Now it shelters 50 senior citizens who are bedridden and helpless, coming from all sections of society. Contact – (022) 26766758
Shraddha Community Centre (Rehab & Relief)
The community centre gives esteemed services to the adjoining slums through mobilization and action for various issues concerning women, children, differently abled and senior citizens. Apart from giving legal assistance to the needy, the centre also provides counseling services and in some cases financial assistance, ration and foodstuff is distributed. There is a well organized Credit Society and Self Help Groups for women. Contact – (022) 26772969
It was established in 1965, with 15 children and it has grown enormously. The services of Kinder Garden and Coaching classes exclusively supports the surrounding slum children. They also get a mid day meal program, school uniform, books, clothes and others essential educational materials. Many poor children have benefited through this informal school and have obtained a better future.
Kripa Academy for Skills
The Kripa Academy for Skills; this centre established to provide vocational training for poor school dropout schools and poor families like Para-medical, para-legal, computer, beautician, home science, tailoring etc. It enables to fetch a decent earning and built their self-respect and confidence.
Paralegal – One Year Diploma Certificate Course
This course is newly introduced to the community animators and social workers at Kripa Academy centre. The first batch of 26 students completed diploma certificate course in the year 2013. The focus of the centre is to enhance professional skills for the school dropout girls, those unable to cope up with higher studies, those living in rural areas lacking professional training. The centre runs courses in tailoring, Henna, beauty culture, computer, spoken English, crafts, preparing candles, embroidery, painting, cookery etc.
A centre for training , workshops and renewal courses. It was established on the 27th May 2001. Inaugurated by our pioneer sisters, Srs. Zita, Imelda and Monica.
Society of the Helpers of Mary
Shraddha Vihar, Generalate,
Veera Desai Road, Andheri West,
Mumbai – 400 058, Maharashtra, India.
Phone: (022) 26766845/4843
Mobile: 9892184907 / 9167614946 (Sr. Shaila)
The Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo
Establishing the reign of God by incarnating the compassionate love of God to all people.
The Charism of the Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo is to incarnate the compassion of God for all, especially the poor and marginalised through Christian values in our diverse ministries.
The Congregation of the Sisters of St.Charles Borromeo was founded on September 27, 1684 by Adrien Bresy, parish priest of Wez-Velvain, in the diocese Tournai, Belgium. Poverty, famine, illiteracy, sickness of all kinds was the aftermath of French revolution in 17th century. To give the best primary education to girl children Fr. Adrien Bresy found five young ladies who were ready to help him in his noble enterprise: They were Marie- Catherine Warquain aged 25 years, Elisabeth Therese Lepe aged 25 years, Marie Marguerite Delure aged 24 and Marie – Barbe Delrue aged 22 years from Wez(Belgium). Adrien Bresy started a school and was inspired to constitute the first five teachers into a religious congregation.
The Sisters Of St.Charles Borromeo In India
The story of the Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo in India has for its beginning the proclamation of Pope Pius XI, made in the year 1927. He, by a decree declared, St .Therese the Little Flower as the Patroness of the Missions and the Holy See made frequent appeals to the Congregations in Europe to send labourers to the mission fields
On December 31, 1929 with the blessing of Pope Pius XI and under the protection of St. Therese the first house in India was opened at Ranipet. They established a school and an orphanage for the girls. Also a dispensary was opened. This first set up in Ranipet became a strong foundation for our Mission in India.
Growth And Spread Of The Congregation
The historical facts that precede its beginning enforce one to exclaim, ‘Great are the works of God!’ The flourishing Congregation in India bears witness to God’s intricate ways. The unceasing grace of God has led the Congregation to spread and to give formation to the East, West and the North Provinces in India.Today there are 64 houses in India, covering 12states serving the people through schools, hospitals, dispensaries, leprosaria, social work centers, homes for the aged, orphanages, boarding houses for the destitute children mid-day meal project for the poor school children, schools for the special children and so on.
The clarion call from overseas missions received a prompt reply from the Sisters. Today the Indian sisters are engaged in various ministries in Belgium, Argentina, Poland, Italy Tanzania, Uganda and Mexico. The remarkable change in the history of the congregation is that, India who was depending upon the foreign missionaries is sending her daughters to the overseas mission to serve.
The Commission For Spirituality And Formation (COSAF)
We must meditate before, during and after everything we do.The prophet says: “I will pray and then I will understand.” This is the way we can easily overcome the countless difficulties we have to face day after day, which, after all, is part of our work.
Spirituality and formation is a process of ongoing conversion and transformation. Listening to and contemplation on the word of God will make us heralds of the good news in word and action. What can touch the hearts of people is the transforming presence of God which happens within a community where life with its joys and pains is shared, where songs are sung.
If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin every day of our life with new eagerness. We must keep ourselves in the presence of God, as much as possible and have no other view or end, in all our actions but the divine honour.
- To educate the marginalized and to enable them to take their rightful place in society
- To promote Faith formation that leads to holistic integral education.
- To foster a total development of physical, moral & social integration through value oriented education.
- To enable every person to become an agent of transformation for the promotion of justice, peace and love in today’s society.
Medico Socio Pastoral
Be sure that you first preach by the way you live. If you do not people will notice that you say one thing but live otherwise, and your words will bring only cynical laughter and a derisive shake of the head.
- To help in uplifting the poor and marginalized families
- To promote developmental programme through community participation for sustainability.
- To encourage and guide the disadvantaged rural and urban youth to take up alternative livelihoods.
- To educate the general public on the prevention and mitigation of HIV/AIDS and other communicable diseases such as Malaria, T.B, etc.
Stewardship is accountability – let us look at the stewardship from the point of Gospel way of life – which includes a Vision & Mission of our institute.
Our accountability should be clear, should be understood by the other, should be relevant and a free flow of information from top to the grass root and vice versa on various levels of the organization.
Varap post, shahad
Kalyan west,Thane Dist
Maharashtra state – 421 103
Phone: 9769408574 (Sr. Celine) / 8976587778
Missionary Sisters of the Queen of the Apostles
The Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Queen of the Apostles is an Apostolic Religious Congregation of pontifical right, widely known as SRA- Congregatio Missionalis Sororum Reginae Apostolorum. It was canonically established on 1st July 1923 in Vienna.The congregation has over 955 members (as of January 2019 ) rendering services in seven provinces, one delegation and one mission keeping alive the spirit of the founder and committed to the cause of the marginalized women and children.
Fr. Antonius Maria Bodewig The founder of SRA was a German a Jesuit missionary in India. While working in Pune mission he recognized an extra-ordinary impulse to dedicate his life and found a large missionary society for the evangelization of India. After long years of prayer, discernment he left the Society of Jesus and returned to Cologne where he laid foundation for the missionary Society of the Immaculate Conception. He had to face many oppositions and difficulties and like a grain of wheat he underwent the loss of life to find new life. His followers held on to his vision and charism. The voice of Fr. Bodewig resounded in the hearts of Fr. Paul Sonntag, Mother Xaveria Blas and other brothers and sisters and they courageously continued their efforts to revive the missionary society and finally on 1st July 1923, the Societas Missionalis Sororum Reginae Apostolorum, SRA was canonically approved.
The Vision and dreams of our founder Fr. Antonius Maria Bodewig and the co-founders ‘to bring the Good News of the Compassionate love of God’ and to bring about integrated development to the people of India liberating them from the bondages of poverty, injustice and all kinds of oppression is being realized by every SRA. Through various ministries – proclamation of the Word of God, pastoral ministry, education, developmental work, Healing and health ministry the members reach out to the people irrespective of caste, creed and race to seven countries-Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovakia, India, Philippines and Uganda.
Life and Growth of the Bombay Province
The bifurcation of the Maharashtra / Gujarat Province on 8th December 2002 from the Central Province set the pathway for intensification of the SRA work within the Province that intended at empowerment of the underprivileged and marginalized groups. During the 9th Ordinary General chapter 2012 while renaming of the provinces Maharashtra Gujarat province was named as Bombay Province.
Our initial functioning as a province was headed from a small flat at Bandra and we have now our Provincialate house in Uttan, Bhayander.
Presently there are twenty one established Communities in the Province most of which are mainly situated in rural areas of 6 dioceses of Maharashtra and Gujarat states. We owe the strength and success of our work to the Lord who uses our team of One Hundred and forty one resourceful and committed Sisters as HIS instruments.
Stella Maris Provincialate
Uttan, Via Bhayander (West) Khadyawer
P.O Thane District – 401 106
Phone: (022) 28452011/28451616
Mobile: 9518582920 (Sr. Joshna)
The Bridgettine Sisters - Order of the Most Holy Savior
The apostolic life, through which the sisters of the Order of Saint Bridget engage in the modern world, has diverse forms. Central to its apostolic charism is hospitality, traditional to all monasticism, which in its Bridgettine form translates into the provision of guest houses where individuals and groups from all Christian traditions or none are warmly welcomed and looked after. Our sisters also work with youth, evangelise, have nursery schools, to name but some of their other activities.
The heirs of the spiritual teaching of Blessed Elisabeth, the ‘pilgrim of unity’, have progressively developed the missionary ecumenical charism of the new Order, and non-Catholic religious services are regularly hosted in the convents of the Order. The Bridgettine centre in Farfa, Italy, is an international ecumenical centre where people of all different faiths come together for a serene interchange of ideas in search of the truth, as is the John Paul II Centre for Interreligious Dialogue on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.
Inseparable from this apostolic life, and giving the apostolic life its source of power and energy is the Bridgettine prayer life which is deeply rooted in the Eucharist daily Mass and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament – the singing of the Divine Office, special devotion to the humanity of Christ, especially to the Passion (our family motto is My Love has been crucified: Amor Meus Crucifixus est), and an intense filial devotion to the Mother of God. The happy synthesis of monastic and apostolic life characterises the Order of Saint Bridget, constantly attracts new postulants and novices, and reminds all of the need to live their Christian lives in the constant presence and remembrance of God our Saviour.
In keeping with the Monastic tradition, the Bridgettine sisters’ chief obligation is liturgical prayer, the regular daily Divine Office. The sisters take part daily in Holy Mass and there is Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament every day. Central to the sisters’ work is the “Guest House” which is part of the activity of Bridgettine sisters. The sisters welcome to their house all who seek stillness and quiet. The sisters’ “Hospitality” is an answer to the needs of many pilgrims. The Bridgettine Order has a special mission in furthering ecumenical work and the sisters are happy to receive guests from other churches and study visits from schools or other groups. They also arrange meetings and retreats. The Bridgettine sisters are established in three continents, in 65 houses. In all these countries there is growing interest in ecumenism. Chiefly through prayer but also action, the sisters share in the missionary work of the Church, in co-operation with the needs of the local Church. The sisters teach catechism, run nursery schools, care for the sick, and provide homes for students and old people.
St. Bridget of Sweden initially founded the Order of the Most Holy Savior (O.SS.S.) in 1344 and approved by Pope Urban V in 1370. Bridget believed that she was called by Christ to found a strictly disciplined religious order that would contribute to the reform of monastic life. She went to Rome to gain approval of her order and died there in 1373. Her foundation began to grow and contributed greatly to the culture of Scandinavia and Germany. The order’s celebrated Syon Abbey at Isleworth, Middlesex, was founded in 1415. Attached to each house was a monastery for monks who lived under the same rule and under the government of the abbess. At the time of the Protestant Reformation, the order was nearly destroyed when its houses were suppressed and confiscated.